A Koesister is Cape Malay fermented, spiced, sweet dough that is fried in oil and then rolled in syrup and dessicated coconut.
425g white cake flour
1tbsp baking powder
50g castor sugar
1/s tsp salt
10g instant yeast
1 tsp finely ground cinnamon
1 tsp finely ground ginger
1 tsp finely ground cardamom
1 tsp whole aniseed
2 tsp oil
125ml warm water
Oil for deep frying (Choose an oil with a neutral flavour e.g. Sunflower)
Desiccated coconut to finish
550g castor sugar
500ml water (Rooibos tea can be substituted for added flavour)
1 cinnamon stick
3 cardamom pods
FOR THE DOUGH
1. Mix yeast with 10g of sugar and 60ml of warm water and set aside to activate. (The mixture will start to bubble)
2. Sift all the dry ingredients together (flour, spices, sugar and salt).
3. Rub the butter into the dry mixture until combines.
4. Mix milk and water in a bowl and add activated yeast.
5. Add oil and egg to milk and mix until combined.
6. Make a well in the dry ingredients and add the wet ingredient mix with a wooden spoon until combined. (The mixture will be quite sticky)
7. Gently knead on a floured surface until it forms a smooth dough,
8. Place in a bowl that has been oiled, in a warm place until doubled in size. (1 to 2 slices)
9. Remove risen dough from the bowl and knead until smooth again.
10. Roll dough into a sausage about 4cm thick and cut into pieces about 3cm.
11. Place on a lightly floured baking tray to allow to prove and double in size
12. Heat oil in a wide deep pot. Idea frying temperature is 180°C
13. Stretch each piece of dough carefully into an oval shape before deep frying. Try not to deflate the dough.
14. Only add 5-6 koesisters to the pot at a time to avoid a drop in temperature.
15. Remove once golden brown on each side and drain on paper towels, not a cooling rack
· Allow the oil a few minutes to reheat before frying the next batch
FOR THE SYRUP
Combine the castor sugar, water, cinnamon stick and cardamom pods in a pot
Heat the mixture until the sugar syrup simmers and thickens slightly, but does not boil
Pop the koesisters into the mixture and simmer for 1 – 2 minutes
Remove with a slotted spoon being careful to drain the excess syrup off
Toss in the desiccated coconut to coat.
Serve immediately or pop in the microwave later to refresh.